How are Eyelash Extensions Applied?
Eyelash extensions are applied directly to the natural lash with a semi-permanent bonding adhesive, close to (1-2 mm), but not touching, the lash line. A single extension is applied to a single lash, leaving the eyelashes and eyelids to move freely. They are applied carefully, one at the time. If lashes are incorrectly applied it will affect the growth of the lashes, potentially damaging them for a long time.
How Long do Eyelash Extensions Last?
Eyelash extensions can last through a full growth cycle of natural eyelashes. However, each person’s lash growth is dependent on genetics. Here at Mila Lashes we recommend that client’s should touch-up every three to four weeks – either the lashes being filled in or taken off entirely. To find out more about infills click here.
The lash lifecycle is about four to ten weeks. An eyelash undergoes a three-part growth cycle:
- Anagen (the growth phase): The anagen phase, commonly known as the growth phase is the first stage of the eyelash cycle which lasts between 30 and 45 days. If all of our eyelashes were in the anagen phase at the same time, they would all be on track to fall out at the same time! Approximately 40 % of our upper lashes and 15 % of our lower lashes are in the anagen stage at any given time.
- Catagen (the transition phase): Once the lashes are in the anagen phase, they reach their designated length, stop growing and the hair follicle shrinks. This phase lasts for 14 and 21 days (2 – 3 weeks). If an eyelash falls out during the catagen phase, it will most likely not grow back until the next catagen phase has completed.
- Telogen (the resting phase): The telogen phase is a hundred-day resting cycle before the eyelash falls out and a new lash begins to grow. Since our lashes are in different phases of the growth cycle, it is natural for a few to fall out each day.
How can I Extend the Longevity of my Eyelash Extensions?
Correct aftercare can help protect eyelash extensions and improve their longevity. The following tips can be used as a useful guide for clients:
- Avoid wetting eyelash extension for 24 hours after application/infills so that the adhesive cures properly.
- Use oil free cleansing products.
- Do not rub them or pull at them.
- To prevent wonky-looking lashes use a spoolie wand to brush the lashes.
- Avoid using mascara as this can cause lashes to clump and mascara may contain oils that weaken the adhesive bond on your eyelash extensions.
- Cleanse properly at least once a day with a special lash shampoo to prevent build-up of bacteria.
- Book lash infills every 2-3 weeks in order to maintain a full look.